Weavings newsletter, May 29, 2014

      Comments Off on Weavings newsletter, May 29, 2014

Volume 14, Number 2

 

Thursday, May 29, 2014

 

 

SLAHS MARCH ANNUAL MEETING:

The SLAHS June General Meeting will be held

Thursday June 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM at the Waukesha State Bank Community Room.

 

 

UPCOMING EVENTS

Board of Directors Meeting:

Depot Museum, 6:30 PM on 8/7/14, 11/6/14.

Newsletter Committee Meeting:

Steve Haasch Residence, 6:30 PM will be called when needed.

Building & Grounds Meeting:

Depot Museum at 6:30 PM. Meetings will be called when needed.

SLAHS General Meeting: 6/12/14

, 6:30 PM, Waukesha State Bank Community Room.

4th of July Celebrations:

7/4/14, Parade @ 9:30 AM, Patriotic Program & Fireworks @ 7:00 PM, Sussex Village Park.

Newsletter articles due: 07/31/14

.

Newsletter Mailed: 08/13/14

.

Sussex Lion’s Days:

7/11-7/13/14, Sussex Village Park.

SLAHS Annual Yard/Estate Sale:

7/19/14, Betty Mindemann’s yard N64 W23798 Main St., Sussex, 9AM to 3PM. Rain date: 7/26/2014.

Pauline Haass Ice Cream Social:

8/6/14, Weyer Park & Pauline Haass Library in Sussex, 6PM to 8PM.

Sussex Antique Power Assn. Annual Threshing Bee:

Sussex Village Park, 8/23 thru 8/24/14, 9AM-5PM Daily.

Appraisal Day:

9/13/14, Depot Museum, 1PM to 4PM.

 

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

 

 

PRESIDENT’S UPDATE

Greetings,

I am proud to announce the opening of our latest exhibit, Taverns and Saloons in the Sussex Lisbon Area. This exhibit not only shows the history of our local drinking establishments from past to present, but also how the area has contributed to the brewing industry, and breweries. We go from our first drinking establishment, to our local ‘Hops Baron’, to the changing of hands throughout the

years of the local taverns. As a side note with name changes, Wagner’s Dugout in Lannon has just changed to Buzdum’s. Please come in to visit this exhibit. There are also changes going on as we adjust and acquire local artifacts to the exhibit. If you have any items representing our local area that are related to our theme exhibit to either donate, or put on short term loan for display, please let me know.

We have our June meeting coming up, and with our theme, can anyone name a beer/soft drink only tavern that was in our area? Sussex Village Administrator Jeremy Smith will be giving a special presentation on the village’s proposal to combine us, and the other non-profit organizations in their Village Hall/WMCA building project. Please try to attend this meeting as it may affect our society.

Steve

 

SLAHS President Steve Haasch introduced the launch of the new exhibit Taverns & Saloons during the Grand Opening on 4/26/2014.

The Weavings

Page 2

Thursday, May 29, 2014

A BEER FOR ANYONE IN SUSSEX, LISBON

AND LANNON

By

Fred H. Keller

The Sussex Lisbon Area Historical Society is unveiling a new exhibit, the history of taverns and saloons in Sussex, Lisbon and Lannon. It is a big subject as it goes back to a tavern that the first Town of Lisbon chairman, David Bonham, opened just as the settlers were coming in the 1840’s. However, he got involved in a manslaughter deal that almost led to his legal hanging, and he left the area for Missouri where he did extremely well, even to becom-ing a Union Army officer in the Civil War, and later a Missouri legislator.

For various reasons Lisbon was not involved in the beer-liquor trade as it had other options such as Whiskey Cor-ners and the Roadside Inn (located in Lake Five) that were just over the border, but close enough for a thirsty person. Then there were the unincorporated villages of Sussex and Templeton (then part of Lisbon) and the near-by villages of Lannon and Merton which had saloons and taverns.

For a really long period after these villages became incor-porated villages Lisbon was without a tavern, other than being close by. Marchese’s Dance Land was unique at its time as it was the only place in the Town of Lisbon that had a liquor/beer license. Today the multi-golf courses in Lisbon have their bars and the former McLaughlin Barn Shooters on Town Line Rd. near Whiskey Corners is in business.

Meanwhile, in old Sussex-Templeton there are a dozen or more places that you can buy alcoholic beverages, from taverns, to sports bars, to bowling alleys, to pizza parlors, and even grocery stores one can get alcoholic beverages.

A notable story is what was here and gone in Sussex-Templeton…Brook’s Hotel-Donkle’s Jolly Bar, Finley’s on the Main-Wolfendale’s, and Bergers Olde Templeton Inn are all gone…only memories.

Even further back is the Fred Boots Taverns and the Wil-liam Smith Tavern that today is just parking lots on Sus-sex’s Main Street.

Judy Taylor is a valued member of the Sussex Lisbon Area Historical Society, and the granddaughter of one of the great watering holes in Templeton which in time be-came the Berger’s Olde Templeton Inn.

Judy is a past director of the SLAHS, but now in her sen-ior age is a volunteer for the society. A few years ago she donated to the SLAHS her family album of photos of the owning family of Taylor’s Hotel (Taylor’s Saloon). It was started in Templeton in 1888 by George Short and George Hummel as a single story tavern at the intersec-tion of the new Wisconsin Central Railroad and Main Street. Sometime about 1904 her grandfather and grand-mother, William and Kathryn Taylor bought the then one story saloon and they would raise their family of 4 children and live out their lives with William dying in 1947 and Katheryn in 1950 when it was again sold by the estate.

The Taylor family saw that the 1910-12 building of the third train tracks thru Lisbon would be a high point for the Taylor family, as they doubled and more the size of the saloon to include hotel rooms for the transit rail-road workers. Once the railroad builders left the Taylors tavern-hotel become the rooming house for stone cutters and quarry workers. Kathryn was the cook for the borders. One of the most famous long term residents was the local blacksmith, Ro-man Kanewic. He had his shop near where today Sussex Inn is situated.

The Taylor family in time would have a farm on Waukesha Ave. just north of the North Western-today Union Pacific railroad tracks. This acreage also included the emerging mega hill of gravel which is today, Lannon Stone Products-Dawson family property. The gravel pit was opened in 1910 to furnish the gravel for the North Western rail line construction, and acquired the name of

(Continued on page 3)

William and Kathryn Taylor.

Far left, Taylor single story tavern c. 1910.

(A Beer for Anyone in Sussex continued from page 2)

“Taylor’s Hill” gravel pit. Paul Relat acquired the Taylor Hotel-Saloon in 1950 and had it for over a decade. In 1972 the Berger family took it over.

The day of its destruction and removal from the Templeton area of the “Olde Templeton Inn” was on September 10-13, 2007. Some years earlier the Berger family had a historical marker installed at their tavern, but came demolition day…someone had stolen the historical sign. Never to be found again.

The Sussex Lisbon Area Historical Society Museum does have the major street side

“OLDE TEMPLETON FINE DINING” sign as it was donated by the Berger family dur-ing the actual demolition take down, and it is on display at the museum as a tribute to the beer-spirits industry of great-er Lisbon.

Oddly while Olde Templeton Inn was going down almost at the same time, the end of the era of the Marchese Dance Land ball room in Lisbon occurred…but to this day the skeleton building is still up on Hwy 164, formerly Hwy J. Reports say the Marchese Dance Land building is infested with deteriorations inside that all but precluding any resto-ration attempts

.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Weavings

Page 3

Taylor’s bar shown her with William Taylor tending the bar around 1920.

Taylor, Quinn and Taylor Gravel pit opened in 1910 by the North Western railroad to build the railroad.

The Taylor Family farm. Farm location is shown on plat map above.

Remodeled Taylor Saloon-Hotel around 1911.

Location of Taylor Farm

The Weavings

Page 4

Thursday, May 29, 2014

 

ON THE WEB By Mike Reilly

Check out our latest articles on the web:

This Day In Wisconsin History

1864, (Civil War) Battle of the Wilderness Ended.

1932, Illegal Distillery discovered in Janesville.

1956, 35th Million vehicle produced at GM plant.

(

Courtesy of the Wisconsin Historical Society.)

Library History-Part 1 thru 1980 and….

Library History-Part 2 1981 to Present.

Domino clubs in Sussex circa 1800s..

Sussex (Lisbon Township) Brewery History-“NEW INFORMATION” Orig. Owners/Builders Identified. Updated 3/20/14.

James Weaver and Hops-the rise of an industry.

The Lisbon Plank Road Came from Early Indian Trails and Oxen Wagon Roads-History of the FIRST planked road in the Territory of Wisconsin. Updated 11/8/13.

Reference Material Index-page updated with available family histories/genealogies in 3-ring binders.

Hop Growing History in Lisbon, Waukesha Co., and Wisconsin. Updated May 26, 2013.

From Miltenberg to Milwaukee-Beer magnates from the Lower Main area, in the United States of the 19th Century.

The next four articles are works in progress:

Sussex (Lisbon Township) Brewery History.

The Taverns and Stages of Early Waukesha County, Wisconsin-with particular emphasis on those in the Town of Lisbon.

Index to Blatz Brewing Company-British Brewery Syndicate letters.

Waukesha Spring Brewing Company.

Lisbon Incorporation Efforts-chronological history of events; Updated 3/20/12 Continued on Lisbon Incorporation Efforts-Page 2, Page 3,-Town of Lisbon Consolidation/Merging Discussions.

Sussex’ Incorporation as a Village.

Indians: Local-Arrowheads and Artifacts-“Indians were here first!”

Our website contains articles, local history, genealogy and other information with our organization. We are always looking for more historical information. If anyone can help please give Mike a call at (262) 246– 3121. You can

find us on the web at

www.slahs.org.

FYI:

If you are interested in contributing to our website’s content, cemetery and newspaper transcriptions, individual/family history, early stories of the area/people/businesses, etc., please contact Mike Reilly. Note:To make your contributions easier to add, please consider submitting them by email, email attachment, or CD, audio DVD, or SD.

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

SLAHS March 2014Annual Meeting

Date: March 13, 2014 Time: 6:37 pm. to 8:00 pm.

Place: Waukesha State Bank Community Room

THE ORDER OF BUSINESS

The Opening

Officers:

President: Steve Haasch, Vice-President: Roger Johnson Secretary: Sue Haasch (absent) and Treasurer: Donna Zimmerman.

Board of Directors:

Joanne Smith, Bob Schlei, Sonny Mehringer, Mona Day and Peter Sparrow. Absent: Henry Ray, Bob Schlei, Jo-anne Smith and Donna Zimmerman.

Special Presentation (s):

None.

Members Present: 10 Total Memberships: 101

I, Steve Haasch, call this annual meeting to order at 6:54 pm. A quor-um is present.

The Pledge of Allegiance. A moment of silence.

The Business

Approval of the minutes: The minutes published in the March 2014 newsletter were approved as written.

Reports of Officers:

President

: Steve Haasch gave some greetings to the members who were present.

Vice –President

: None.

Secretary

: The annual reports have been submitted and filed.

Treasurer

: Sue Haasch gave the quarterly treasurer’s report. We received a bill for snowplowing at the depot. Roger Johnson made a motion to approve the report. The motion was passed.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees:

Volunteers:

June Keller called the membership for this meeting.

Fundraising:

Fred mentioned adding soda cans and other tin cans along with his scrap metal collections.

Building & Grounds:

A service/maintenance plan has been put in place for the new furnace and existing air conditioner. Steve picked up a couple of new fire extinguishers. The stone retaining wall on the (Continued on page 5)

We now accept monetary donations online using PayPal, see the link on the left side of the main web page called “Monetary Donations”.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Weavings

Page 5

west side of the depot needs to be repaired.

Exhibit:

Our new exhibit will be Taverns & Saloons. A committee meeting will be scheduled. Peter Sparrow handed out some infor-mation about the Lannon Springs Hotel and surrounding area.

Membership:

13 memberships have not been paid. Total member-ship comes to 101.

Newsletter/Publicity:

The flyers for the new exhibit are done.

Curator

: Mike suggested bringing up some cabinets from the base-ment upstairs for the 3-ring binders. Fred had a few groups visit the museum this winter. Fred provided some additional information about Dr. Lawler from Dr. Lawler’s family. The hops plants should be coming up sometime in April. We will be planting some hops plants this spring at the depot. Mike will further contact the Lisbon Parks Dept. about planting hops with them also.

Website:

There has been an update made on the Sussex Brewery. The first tax assessment for the brewery was in 1849 (The brewery was built around 1848.) James Weaver & Edward Simms were the first owners. The business was called Weaver & Simms. Mike gave some further history. Finally in 1865, Ephraim Boots owned the brew-ery until 1879 and it was sold and was torn down in 1891.

New Business:

Steve gave some information about our Spring Fest booth on March 15, 2014.

Old Business:

None.

Temporary Adjourn meeting to Election Chairman:

Steve Haasch. A motion was made to temporarily adjourn the meeting and the motion passed. The standing members were contacted by June Keller and everyone except Mona Day agreed to run for the open positions as board director. June Keller will call Bob Schlei to see if he will continue on the Board.

Opening of Elections

Elections:

Steve Haasch announced the nominations. Motions were made that board members and officers are voted on unanimously. Motion passed. Officer Nominees: President, Steve Haasch; Vice-President, Roger Johnson; Secretary, Sue Haasch; Treasurer, Donna Zimmerman. Board of Directors Nominees: Henry Ray and Mona Day. Mona Day declined her nomination. A nomination came from the floor to nominate Bob Baier as board member. Mike Reilly was asked if he would be willing to take on a board position and declined. All nominations were approved and voted on unanimously. All mo-tions for elections were passed. The newly elected 2014 Officers are: President, Steve Haasch; Vice-President, Roger Johnson; Secretary, Sue Haasch; Treasurer, Donna Zimmerman. The newly elected 2014 Board Members are: Henry Ray and Bob Baier

Closing of Elections

7:18 pm.

Good of the Order:

Fred presented an official signed certificate from Zachary Taylor (1850) for a donation of land in downtown Sussex. This certificate was owned by Betty Riemer’s family and will go into the museum collection.

Announcements:

There will be a special meeting of the Board of Directors immediately following the meeting.

The Closing

Adjournment:

Called by Roger Johnson at Time: 8:00 pm.

Secretary,

Susan Haasch

Thank You

to the following people, businesses and organizations for your efforts in helping us…

Sussex Lion’s Club

Sussex Liquor

Sussex Piggly Wiggly

And to all others who have volunteered and provided their talents, materials, time and donations.

FUNdraising By Joanne Smith

THE ANNUAL YARD/ESTATE SALE

will be held at Betty Mindemann’s yard-N64 W23798 Main St., Sussex on Saturday, July 19, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Betty will feature antiques and accessories from her collections. Donations for the sale will also be accepted; remember SLAHS when doing spring cleaning. Contact Betty for more information: (262) 246-4128. Volunteers will be needed to work during the sale those interested please call Betty. The rain date is scheduled for July 26, 2014.

APPRAISAL DAY IS COMING:

Saturday, September 13, 2014 from 1:00 to 4:00PM at the Depot Museum. Betty Mindemann will lend her vast knowledge of antiques to appraise items (or photos) brought in. One item will be verbally appraised for $5 or 3 items for $10. Written appraisals will be $25. Displays at the museum will be open for viewing. Regular admission will be charged.

The Fundraising Committee is willing to try new ideas to bring in the necessary funds to keep the SLAHS property functioning and attractive. Tell your ideas to Betty (246-4128) or Joanne (246-6250).

DONATIONS WELCOMED ANY TIME/ANY AMOUNT.

 

SLAHS Scrap Metal Collection Fundraiser

Anyone interested in helping SLAHS out by making a donation may call Fred Keller at

(262) 246-3603 to arrange a pickup of any old scrap metal you may have sitting around and want to get rid of. All proceeds are used to keep the Museum Depot and gardens attractive and functioning.

The Weavings

Page 6

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Curator Fred Keller had a display of Lions Club keep-sakes which was well received by members who looked through 4 scrap books and other club artifacts that Fred has collected throughout the years. He was also honored by the Lions Club for furnishing access to SLAHS Lions Club memorabilia with many pictures appearing in the coveted Lions 75

th anniversary book.

SLAHS received a collection of 3 different collectable pins put out by the Sussex Lions Club plus a 75

th anni-versary book. A second book will be coming out some-time in the future as a multi signed copy. The Lions have invited Fred to have a special presentation and dis-play at this year’s Lions Daze event to further celebrate their 75th.

OTHER NEWS TIDBITS:

On May 5, 2014 Boy Scout Troop 107 visited the Depot Museum for a slideshow and tour. There was a total of 25 people consisting of children and adults. ( See photo below.)

SUSSEX LIONS CLUB CELEBRATES THEIR 75TH ANNIVERSARY.

Below: A collection of Lions anniversary buttons that were donated to SLAHS.

Honorary Lion Fred Keller (left) shows a Lions member some photos and artifacts from the SLAHS collection at the Depot Museum.

The Weavings

Page 7

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Fees for verbal appraisals are:

$5.00 per item or $10.00 for 3 items.

Written appraisals are $25.00 for each item.

All proceeds go towards the upkeep and maintenance of the Depot Museum.

For more information

Call: (262) 246-4128

September 13, 2014

2PM to 4PM

At The Depot Museum

N63 W23791 Main St., Sussex

APPRAISALS BY

BETTY MINDEMANN

 

Interested in helping us out?

Volunteer/ Committee Coordinator

June Keller will be available to assist those interested in joining any of our committees or helping with projects throughout the upcoming year. Please call June for more information at: (262) 246 3603.

SOMETHING NEW!

Turn your old Junker cars into a cash donation for the Depot Museum. They need not be in running condition.

For more details please call Donna Zimmerman at: (262) 246-8331.

Newsletter Contributors

Fred Keller Tom Schuldt

Mona Day Sue Haasch

June Keller Steve Haasch

Betty Mindemann Joanne Smith

Mike Reilly Mary Haasch

Services & Support

Arenz, Molter, Macy & Riffle Attorneys at Law

SUSSEX-LISBON AREA HISTORICAL

SOCIETY, INC.

N63 W23791 Main Street

P.O. Box 32

Sussex, WI 53089-0032

Phone: 262-246-3603

The Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. is a non-profit & tax exempted corporation dedicated to the collection and preservation of historically significant artifacts, pictures, stories, & similar materials from the local Sussex & Lisbon area. The society held organizational meetings in mid 2001 and formally announced intentions for official formation as a non-profit corporation in November 2001. SLAHS became tax exempted retroactive Feb. 6, 2002. SLAHS is affiliated with the Wisconsin State Historical Association as a local society. The society has an open membership policy welcoming all interested parties to join for a nominal fee. Annual memberships are for the calendar year beginning January 1st of each year. Lifetime memberships are also available.

President Steven Haasch

Vice-President Roger Johnson

Secretary Susan Haasch

Treasurer Donna Zimmerman

Board of Directors:

Peter Sparrow Joanne Smith Sonny Mehringer

Bob Baier Henry Ray

Curator:

Fred Keller

Assistant Curator:

Mike Reilly

Committee Coordinator:

June Keller (262) 246-3603

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

N63 W23791 Main Street

P.O. Box 32

Sussex WI 53089-0032

Mail To:

Join Us and Help Preserve History

NEW MEMBERSHIP Application Form

Name ____________________________________________

Address __________________________________________

___________________________________________________________

Phone Number ______________________

E-Mail _____________________________________________________

Please Mail my newsletter  E-Mail my newsletter

Types of Membership:

Individual $ 15.00 Annual ____

Senior $ 10.00 Annual ____

Family $ 25.00 Annual ____

Business $ 50.00 Annual ____

Contributing $ 30.00 Annual ____

Lifetime $1,000.00 ____

Total Membership paid: $ _______________

*

Donation amount: $________________ thank you!

Membership is open to all persons, institutions, or organizations. Member-ship is able to vote, with only one vote per member regardless of class of membership.

Make Check Payable to

:

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. (SLAHS)

Mail Completed form and Check to

:

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

Attention: Treasurer

PO Box 32

Sussex, WI 53089-0032

(2014)

DEPOT MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER HOURS

The Depot Museum will be open every 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 1 to 4 pm.

 

January thru March by appointment only.

Admission:

$4.00

Children 10 and under free.

The museum will also be available for group visits by contacting the museum’s curator, Fred Keller, at (262) 246-3603 for more information.

2014 General Meeting :

June 12, 2014 at 6:30 PM

At the Waukesha State Bank Community Room.

www.slahs.org