December 2014 SLAHS Newsletter

      Comments Off on December 2014 SLAHS Newsletter

PRESIDENT’S UPDATE

Greetings,

Is it that time of the year already? As always I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Please join us Thursday December 11, 2014 for our General Meeting and Christmas Party. We will try to keep business short, and get to the festivities. Bring your favorite cookies and goodies that you would like to share. If you have any stories related to the passing down of your family recipes, please share them with everyone.

We are in the process of taking, and updating our

inventory records. If you are interested in helping please contact our Assistant Curator, Mike Reilly at 1-414-530- 3121 for more details.

An important museum update has been included in this newsletter with a survey on whether or not our museum should be a part of the proposed Village Hall Complex. We are asking members to fill out this survey and return it by mail before the December General Meeting on 12/11/14. This is just to see where our society stands at this point. A formal vote will be taken once we get actual figures from the Village of Sussex.

Lastly, it takes a lot of work to keep our Museum running. Thank you to everyone involved. If I were to name names, I’m afraid I may leave someone out. There is no such thing as a small meaningless job. Everything done at the Museum is important, and all of you who put in your part, please turn around and give yourselves a pat on the back.

Steve

 

Volume 14, Number 4

 

Thursday, November 27, 2014

 

 

SLAHS DECEMBER ANNUAL MEETING:

The SLAHS December General Meeting will be held

Thursday December 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM at the Depot Museum. Christmas party to follow after meeting.

 

UPCOMING EVENTS

Board of Directors Meeting:

Depot Museum, 6:30 PM on2/5/14, 5/7/15.

Exhibit Committee Meeting: Members will be called when needed for date, location and times.

SLAHS Volunteer Workday:

The Museum will be open every Wednesday of the month from 1:00 to 4:00 PM until December 31, 2014.

Building & Grounds Meeting: Meetings will be called when needed.

Village of Sussex Annual Tree Lighting: Sussex Village Hall, 12/6/2014, 5 PM.

SLAHS General Meeting: 12/11/14, 6:30 PM,

Depot Museum. Annual Christmas Party to follow.

Newsletter articles due: 1/30/15.

Newsletter Mailed: 2/23/15.

Appraisal Day: Spring 2015, Depot Museum,

Date to be announced.

 

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

 

MEMORIALS

By Roger Johnson

Another opportunity for supporting the SLAHS Museum is through remembrances in your final arrangements. Bequeaths to SLAHS may be made in your will, or even more simply, by including SLAHS as a secondary beneficiary in your life insurance instructions. For further information regarding these options you can contact Roger Johnson at 262-246-4079, or email at rsjohn3j@wi.rr.com.

 

 

MEMBERSHIP

: The 2015 membership renewal forms will be mailed out soon. We hope that you will continue to support this local historical society by renewing your membership and are looking forward towards a brand new season next year.

Thank you!

The Weavings

Page 2

Thursday, November 27, 2014

DONATION OF 45 LOCAL HISTORY POST CARDS

By Fred H. Keller

It was just like having a Christmas party at the Keller house this past month as Dawn Mortimer of Merton first called, and then came twice more to my home to donate about 48 keepsake items of old Sussex and Lisbon.

There was the first group of old local post cards, about 20, plus 3 win-ner ribbons from the “First Annual 1913 Poultry Show” that was held in the 1866 built Lisbon Town Hall which is currently the Wheaton Franciscan Medical Center in Sussex today.

She explained that she was cleaning out their Merton home and had these post cards and 2 first place blue ribbons, and a second place red ribbon which were included.

I asked where her family got these items, and she mentioned that her extended families were friends with the Lawrence (Larry) Erdman family of Lisbon, up on the old Nette-Leo Howard farm on north Ma-ple Avenue. Today this is the Centennial Oaks Subdivision that has been annexed to the Village of Sussex about the turn of the 21st Centu-ry, as Erdman was pushing to have his farm of near 80 acres along with an adjacent 80 acre farm, the former William Crouch early pio-neer farmer, and then the George Craven farm. When he received it he was a caretaker for the last Craven progeny of original settler Richard Craven Sr. George and his wife Hattie Butler had 2 children, Earl and Myrtle who were not married, and died in the l960’s. Earl died on December 11, 1964 at the age of 61 and Myrtle died later on January 10, 1966 at the age of 71.

Meanwhile their parents George and Hattie had died on the Maple Avenue homestead, George in 1916 at age 46 and Hattie in 1937 at age 65. All of them are buried at the Lisbon Central Cemetery.

Larry Erdmann was a former big time business man, and became a gentleman farmer of the near 160 acre conglomeration of land mass. When he divided the land he separated the barn and house of the Cra-vens and it is not part of Centennial Oaks Subdivision, just a jungle of woods with farm buildings and the home in it that has a “No Trespass-ing” sign at its entrance. Residents of the subdivision refer to it as “The Haunted House”. Little do they know of how extensive this out lot is, and how tree showed it is today?

Getting back to William Crouch, the original developer of the farm… site of Centennial Oaks, his son Samuel Crouch, joined the Union Army as he signed on August 21, 1862, then went thru basic training in a camp in Milwaukee. His unit was the Wisconsin 28th Volunteer Infantry Regiment, more immediately known as the Waukesha Regi-ment as about 900 plus were from Waukesha County and then a little over 100 were from Walworth County as they filled out the thousand plus ranks of the regiment. He was not involved in the November Wisconsin draft riots in Port Washington, West Bend and Cedar Grove area as his unit was getting there on a paddle wheeler from the Mil-waukee Harbor to Port Washington, and then fanning out. He was probably still in the Milwaukee area, at Camp Washburn getting in step and learning about his rifle when he deserted officially on October 18, 1862. It is said he went back to Sussex-Lisbon and then secretly, eventually left the area for north western Missouri where a lot of other Sussex-Lisbon residents had been going since a local migration started in about 1854 or so (King City-Empire, Prairie, MO area).

I immediately took the initial offering of post cards and mounted them in a 3-ring binder with maps and captions. Most were about around the 1912-13 era. Many could be identified, and a series of features were put in the Sussex Sun.

After the initial donation there was a second donation of about 30 more miscellaneous post cards (real photo post cards). Many of these were of friends of the Craven family, such as the Jeffery families up on North Lisbon Rd., plus some of the Craven home, barn and silo.

These in turn were added to the 3-ring binder for future study and more additional information.

Now the SLAHS is in a waiting period as donor Dawn Mortimer in-formed the society that she has an additional series of colored and black and white post cards that are not from the Sussex-Lisbon area, but were sent by friends from other places with stamps attached, and written “greetings” plus information. The SLAHS requested to Dawn that the Society would accept them also as they would tie into the Cra-ven family information base.

Most of the post cards were sent in the era of 1905 to the 1920’s. It will be a treasure hunt when they become available, and will be part of the “annex” of the 3-ring binder that will soon be on display at the local museum.

George Craven home around 1900 to 1914.

Home

Today- Location of Centennial Oak Subdivision

85 Acres

George Craven Farm

Good Hope

Former Wm Crouch Farm

Richard Craven Jr.

Above: Map of former location of Craven Farm in the Town of Lisbon and Sussex-Templeton area.

Maple

Avenue

Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Weavings

Page 3

Three winner ribbons from the “First Annual 1913 Poultry Show” held Dec. 2-3, 1913 inside the Lisbon Town Hall.

George and Hattie Craven with work horse on their farm.

The Harvey Jeffery home on Colgate and North Lisbon Roads about 1914 or so… maybe earlier.

Earl Craven, son of George and Harriet

(Hattie). Born 1899, died on Dec. 11, 1964.

Unknown couple on Templeton, Main St. going west from the Mammoth Spring Hotel at the corner of Waukesha Ave. (formerly Merrill St.) in a pony and open courting buggy. The building behind is the Mammoth Spring Hotel in 1888. Onward photo prior to 1920…probably about 1910-15.

Templeton Depot for the Wis. Central Railroad…now shortly afterwards Soo Line Railroad. Track is going due north. In the distance is the James Templeton & Sons Elevator built in 1886 and torn down in 1932. Shipped barley.

Ladies of Old Lisbon from the George Craven home collection.

The Weavings

Page 4

Thursday, November 27, 2014

 

ON THE WEB By Mike Reilly

Check out our latest articles on the web:

This Day In Wisconsin History

1864, (Civil War) Battle of the Wilderness Ended.

1932, Illegal Distillery discovered in Janesville.

1956, 35th Million vehicle produced at GM plant.

(

Courtesy of the Wisconsin Historical Society.)

Land O’Lakes Baseball History-Martin C. Weber Also read Sussex Baseball.

Library History-Part 3 2006 to Present: Catch-up with the controversy!

Original Library Agreement between Sussex and Lisbon.

Domino clubs in Sussex circa 1800s..

Sussex (Lisbon Township) Brewery History-“NEW INFORMATION” Orig. Owners/Builders Identified. Updated 3/20/14.

James Weaver and Hops-the rise of an industry.

The Lisbon Plank Road Came from Early Indian Trails and Oxen Wagon Roads-History of the FIRST planked road in the Territory of Wisconsin. Updated 11/8/13.

Reference Material Index-page updated with available family histories/genealogies in 3-ring binders.

Hop Growing History in Lisbon, Waukesha Co., and Wisconsin. Updated May 26, 2013.

From Miltenberg to Milwaukee-Beer magnates from the Lower Main area, in the United States of the 19th Century.

The next two articles are works in progress:

The Taverns and Stages of Early Waukesha County, Wisconsin-with particular emphasis on those in the Town of Lisbon.

Indians: Local-Arrowheads and Artifacts-Indians were here first!”

Sussex (Lisbon Township) Brewery History.

Index to Blatz Brewing Company-British Brewery Syndicate letters.

Waukesha Spring Brewing Company.

Lisbon Incorporation Efforts-chronological history of events; Updated 3/20/12 Continued on Lisbon Incorporation Efforts-Page 2, Page 3,-Town of Lisbon Consolidation/Merging Discussions.

Sussex’ Incorporation as a Village.

Our website contains articles, local history, genealogy and other information with our organization. We are always looking for more historical information. If anyone can help please give Mike a call at (262) 246– 3121. You can find us on the web at

www.slahs.org.

FYI:

If you are interested in contributing to our website’s content, cemetery and newspaper transcriptions, individual/family history, early stories of the area/people/businesses, etc., please contact Mike Reilly. Note: To make your contributions easier to add, please consider submitting them by email, email attachment, or CD, audio DVD, or SD.

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

SLAHS General Meeting

Date: September 11, 2014 Time: 6:32 pm. to 8:33 pm.

Place: Waukesha State Bank Community Room

THE ORDER OF BUSINESS

The Opening

Officers: President: Steve Haasch, Vice-President: Roger Johnson Secretary: Sue Haasch and Treasurer: Donna Zimmerman.

Board of Directors: Joanne Smith, Bob Baier, Sonny Mehringer, and Peter Sparrow.

Absent:Bob Baier.

Special Presentation (s): Depot Grand Opening video from 2004 was post-poned due to lack of time.

Members Present: 13 Total Memberships: 99.

I, Steve Haasch, call this annual meeting to order at 6:32 pm. A quorum is present.

The Pledge of Allegiance. A moment of silence.

The Business

Approval of the minutes: The June General Meeting minutes published in the August 2014 newsletter were approved as written.

Reports of Officers:

President: There were some opening comments and reflections concerning 9-11-01 and recent world events from attending members. Steve Haasch noted that a starting point has been written on the white board concerning our mission statement for discussion and review. He also mentioned this year being the 10th anniversary of commemorating the grand opening of the Depot Museum.

Vice–President: Roger Johnson met with the architect for the village of Sussex who is designing the new civic center and village hall. Fred Keller and Roger Johnson walked through the museum with him to see how we would fit into the new village hall north of the Clark gas station and placed building and to get some sort of a ”

conceptual idea” for the time being of how much space we would need to occupy in the new building (approx. 4,000 sq. ft.). Further dis-cussion followed. The Village had some thought as to what would happen to the depot museum and said that it could be moved to Madeline Park just on a concrete slab and used for a rest station for joggers and bicyclists along the Bugline Trail. No specific details have been given to anyone at this time.

Secretary: Sue Haasch presented a list of committee members that was dis-

(Continued on page 5)

We now accept monetary donations online using PayPal, see the link on the left side of the main web page called “Monetary Donations”.

cussed and revised. Peter Sparrow made a motion that we reschedule the meet-ing room at the bank for 2015. And the motion passed. The general meetings will be scheduled at the Waukesha State Bank Community Room for 2015.

Treasurer: Donna Zimmerman gave the quarterly treasurer’s report. We are still getting a reasonable amount of interest from savings (approx. $320/mo.). The 2013 income tax return has been filed and mailed. Some questions were asked about turning the museum over to the Village of Sussex and whether we could financially be able to do this. The Village of Sussex will have to come up with some figures for us sometime in the near future. The

WeEnergies Foun-dation Donation application must be signed and filed. Betty Mindemann gave a generous donation along with this year’s Yard Sale and Mike Reilly auctioned off a two person kayak for a cash donation during the Town of Lisbon Heritage Days event. Further discussion followed. Joanne Smith made a motion to approve the treasurer’s report and the motion was passed.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees:

Volunteers: None.

Fundraising: We will not be scheduling anything until next year. Peter Spar-row suggested having a member’s only tour of his log cabin that is located at the back of his home.

Building & Grounds: Some restroom plumbing fixtures need to be replaced along with two toilets that have been donated for the museum. The annual fall garden cleanup will need to be scheduled within the next few months. The owner of the Piggly Wiggly made up a sign for parking at the museum on the west side of his parking lot.

Exhibit: A discussion was held to see what the society would like to do. Mike Reilly suggested having a workday during the week for members to work on projects and have the museum open to the public also. A motion was made by Mike Reilly to have a weekly workday every Wednesday at the museum and the motion passed. An agenda will be made to schedule activities and projects. An exhibit committee meeting date will be set up. Mike mentioned taking an inventory of items we currently have in our collection. Mike volunteered to help chair the exhibit committee along with Bob Baier. Most of the former committee members have agreed to stay on. The first meeting will be sched-uled for Sat., Nov. 1 @ 1 PM at the Depot. The antique tools and railroad items will be put on display in the center exhibit room of the museum.

Membership: Mary Haasch will be stepping down as chair. The position is now open to any member who is willing to volunteer.

Newsletter/Publicity: Mona Day mentioned that the Waukesha Freeman was used for advertising for a fee of $30. This worked very well. Fred Keller and Mike Reilly will also continue to coordinate and place articles in the local paper and advertisers.

Curator: Assistant Curator Mike Reilly will not be available on September 27th. A Land O’Lakes exhibit was recently created at the museum. Mike re-cently met with Ed Smith and Stan Reimer and both contributed some items and information from Lannon about the former Dugout and from Joecks’ field storage shed along with other miscellaneous items that are currently on display. Some other Land O’ Lakes baseball items were donated to our collection within the past few months. Mike is donating some books on Wisconsin history, local history and genealogy along with starting a historic book library in the research center. He also has 60 issues of Reminisces Magazine. We will have to contact the Lisbon Park Dept. about planting some hops plants. Betty Mindemann will have to be consulted for planting some hops plants at the museum.

Website: Mike Reilly has been adding more of Fred Keller’s articles to the site.

New Business: The Annual Christmas Party will be at the museum along with the general meeting on December 11, 2014 starting at 6:30 p.m. The terms of Lifetime memberships need to be amended. As previously mentioned a revised mission statement was written on the white board stating; to protect, preserve, and present the factual history of the Sussex-Lisbon Area which was briefly discussed. More on this subject will be further discussed at the next meeting in December.

Old Business: There was more discussion on preserving the old buildings that are being proposed to be torn down in downtown Sussex.

Good of the Order:

Announcements:

The Closing

Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made 2nd and was passed. The meet-ing was adjourned at

Time: 8:33 pm.

Secretary,

Susan Haasch

The Weavings

Page 5

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Newsletter Contributors

Services & Support

Arenz, Molter, Macy & Riffle Attorneys at Law

SUSSEX-LISBON AREA HISTORICAL

SOCIETY, INC.

N63 W23791 Main Street

P.O. Box 32

Sussex, WI 53089-0032

Phone: 262-246-3603

The Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. is a non-profit & tax exempted corporation dedicated to the collection and preservation of historically significant artifacts, pictures, stories, & similar materials from the local Sussex & Lisbon area. The society held organizational meetings in mid-2001 and formally announced intentions for official formation as a non-profit corporation in November 2001. SLAHS became tax exempted retroactive Feb. 6, 2002. SLAHS is affiliated with the Wisconsin State Historical Association as a local society. The society has an open membership policy welcoming all interested parties to join for a nominal fee. Annual memberships are for the calendar year beginning January 1st of each year. Lifetime memberships are also available.

President Steven Haasch

Vice-President Roger Johnson

Secretary Susan Haasch

Treasurer Donna Zimmerman

Board of Directors:

Peter Sparrow Joanne Smith Sonny Mehringer

Bob Baier Henry Ray

Curator: Fred Keller (262) 246-3603

Assistant Curator: Mike Reilly (414) 530-3121

Volunteer/Committee Coordinator:

June Keller (262) 246-3603

Fred Keller

Mona Day

June Keller

Betty Mindemann

Mike Reilly

Sue Haasch

Steve Haasch

Joanne Smith

Mary Haasch

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

N63 W23791 Main Street

P.O. Box 32

Sussex WI 53089-0032

Mail To:

Join Us and Help Preserve History

NEW MEMBERSHIP Application Form

Name ____________________________________________

Address __________________________________________

___________________________________________________________

Phone Number ______________________

E-Mail _____________________________________________________

Please Mail my newsletter  E-Mail my newsletter

Types of Membership:

Individual $ 15.00 Annual ____

Senior $ 10.00 Annual ____

Family $ 25.00 Annual ____

Business $ 50.00 Annual ____

Contributing $ 30.00 Annual ____

Lifetime $1,000.00 ____

Total Membership paid: $ _______________

*

Donation amount: $________________ thank you!

Membership is open to all persons, institutions, or organizations.

Membership is able to vote, with only one vote per member regardless of class of membership.

Make Check Payable to:

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc. (SLAHS)

Mail Completed form and Check to:

Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc.

Attention: Treasurer

PO Box 32

Sussex, WI 53089-0032

(2015)

DEPOT MUSEUM & RESEARCH CENTER HOURS

The Depot Museum will be open every 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 1 to 4 pm.

January thru March by appointment only.

Admission:

$4.00

Children 10 and under free.

The museum will also be available for group visits by contacting the museum’s curators, Fred Keller, at (262) 246-3603 or Mike Reilly (414) 530-3121 for more information.

2014 General Meeting :

Dec. 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM

At the

Depot Museum. Annual Christmas Party to follow.

www.slahs.org